Requirements for Animal Protocols on Sponsored Projects

Page Updated: July 07, 2023

When funds received by UW-Madison support live, vertebrate animal research, the campus’ animal care program must be satisfied that research is performed in accordance with the UW-Madison’s animal program standards. This is done through verification of IACUC (Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee) approval of the animal work, either by UW-Madison’s IACUCs or by the collaborating institution’s IACUC.

  • If the funds support any direct live vertebrate animal use that is performed at UW-Madison, a UW-Madison IACUC-approved animal care and use protocol IS required to release funds. At the time of award set-up the protocol must reference the project (exact title & PI match or reference to the funding information (Sponsor Reference number, RAMP ID, Project ID) in the funding information available to RSP in PLuS.
    • To associate a funding source (grant, fellowship, etc.) with a UW-Madison IACUC-approved animal care and use protocol, submit a Non-review Change in ARROW-IACUC. If the animal protocol is not in the ARROW system, contact the RARC staff noted below.
    • Once the funding source is added to the protocol, then the following day the grant will appear in PLuS associated with the approved animal protocol and can be set up.
      • Note that a grant-to-protocol congruency check by RARC staff may be required. If so, the Principal Investigator will be informed and the check will be initiated. Once the congruency check is complete, the award will be ready for set-up.
    • For any help or questions contact
  • If the funds support the purchase or receipt of animal products from commercial vendors, such as antibodies, UW-Madison IACUC approval is NOT required. However, verification of the vendor’s USDA Research Registration and/or Public Health Service (PHS) Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW) Assurance status must be confirmed by RSP staff before award set-up. See resources below.
  • If the funds support direct live vertebrate animal use that is performed entirely and only at non-UW-Madison, UW-Madison IACUC approval is NOT required. However, IACUC approval of the collaborating institution must be confirmed.
    • RSP must receive the IACUC approval letter from the institution or facility where the work is being performed. A copy of this approval must be uploaded into the RAMP record.
    • RSP must be assured that the approving institution is USDA-registered if the animals involved are USDA-covered species (see definition below) and PHS-Assured if the granting agency is a PHS agency (see agency list below).
    • UW-Madison is a USDA-registered research institution. Therefore, other institutions that are USDA-registered research institutions are considered equivalent to us in terms of animal care. RSP staff will verify if the collaborating insitution is registered as a research institution with the USDA. See resources below.
    • UW-Madison holds an Assurance from the Public Health Service (PHS) (Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare, or OLAW). Therefore, other institutions that have a PHS Assurance are considered equivalent to us in terms of animal care. RSP staff will verify if the collaborating institution holds a PHS Assurance. See resources below.
    • If the other institution is not USDA-registered and PHS-Assured, the proposal will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis by the Associate Vice Chancellor for Research Policy and Compliance, who will make a determination of next steps.

What are USDA covered species?

Any warm-blooded living vertebrate excluding birds bred for research, mice of the genus Mus bred for research, and rats of the genus Rattus bred for research. This definition is from the federal Animal Welfare Act, CFR7(54)secs. 2131-2159.

What are PHS funds?

These are funds made available through the Public Health Service, an agency within the Department of Health and Human Services. This includes funds awarded by the following agencies, their component entities, and the National Science Foundation (NSF) as per NOT-OD-15-139:

  • Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
  • Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR)
  • Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) including:
    • National Institutes of Health (NIH)
    • Alcohol, Drug Abuse, and Mental Health Administration
    • Centers for Disease Control
    • Food and Drug Administration

For a complete list of PHS agencies see

How do I check another institution’s USDA Registration?

Go to and choose “USDA Animal Care Public Search Tool” to begin your search.

How do I check another institution’s PHS OLAW Assurance status?

Go to and search for Assured Institutions by clicking either the “Domestic” button (for U.S. institutions) or “Foreign” (for non-U.S. institutions).


Go to Protocol and IACUC Services